Saturday 8 January 2011

Thames Clippers

Below is Thames Clippers current map, I can use this to research landmarks on route...


Below are some photographs of Thames Clippers in action:

I found this useful video on Thames Clippers on the BBC's website, it states all the benefits of traveling by Thames Clippers and has a journey on one, this is very useful and informative...

Click here to watch the BBC Thames Clippers Video


I've been looking at some hand drawn style maps for inspiration:


I really like the maps below and above, I think my map would be somewhere in between the look of these two.


My other idea for this brief is to make a short film/advert. The idea is of a person traveling to work, it starts of on the tube, really dark and gritty then suddenly shoots out onto the river with sunshine and loads going around them. The boat will be full of London commuters and tourists and will highlight all the benefits of traveling by Thames Clippers such as:

  • Guaranteed a seat
  • Views of London
  • WiFi onboard
  • The stop off and pick up points
  • Toilet facilities
  • Comfort
  • Reliable
  • Discounts and concessions (Including for Oyster card holders)
If I would have time to do both the video and the map I would do them in the same style. For the video I think I would like to use mixed media, using; Actual footage, actual photographs, hand drawn pictures/paintings, paints, charcoals, watercolours etc, I think this would be a really fresh approach to advertising Thames Clippers and that people would take interest.

SO, Ideally I am going to:

Create a short film which can be advertised on television, internet and various points around London. The film will include a journey from tube to river boat OR maybe even more of a variety of transport - Car, train, bus, tube then river boat....Either way when the film changes to river boat the style will change from dark and gritty to light and brightly coloured (maybe washy, watercolour style) The journey on the river boat will pass landmarks such as Big Ben, The O2, Canary Wharf... It may be a good idea to do it turning from day to night to show all of London lit up? The film will be very fast paced almost a sort of hip hop editing style.

I will then use artwork from the film to help create posters that will be featured in and around London in tube stations, shopping malls and corporate work environments such as Canary Wharf... I quite like the idea of having some posters on floor stickers in various shapes, I have seen these around London and they do attract attention.

IF there is any time left I would love to create the map too, again sticking with the same mixed media style and to coincide with the film and posters. The map will be available in tube stations and on the boats themselves, it will be a large fold out map, with further information about Thames Clippers on the back. It would be nice to have it on a textured paper which will give it more substance than a gloss leaflet that are all over the underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment