Saturday 16 October 2010

Episode one.

To start with I made sketches and storyboards by hand in my sketchbook. I then drew out my shapes in Illustrator...

This was my original girl... Just basic shapes that together make the impression of a little girl in a dress. I was going to have arms, hands and legs too but decided against as I wanted to keep it simpler shapes as the brief says...

Below is one of the boys playing ball, again, just simple shapes and this is where I decided to just use hands, I think the characters will need hands to make the viewer understand whats going on...
Below is my final little girl and boys, I can use the same hands and head for the group of boys, but I will be using slightly different bodies so the viewer can see the difference. Also below is the Red balloon, I wanted just a classic red balloon, the string will be drawn separately...

Below is the balloon seller, again, the same sort of shapes but this character is taller and larger (to show he is an adult)...
I drew a group of balloons for the seller (below). I drew them in groups of 2 and placed in separate layers so I would be able to move them round individually rather than the whole group when animating...
For the background I wanted a very simple skyline made up of shapes on Illustrator...


I then added a gradient...

When I added all the artwork to After effects I decided I really didn't like the gradient with all the simple shades of colour and shapes, I changed it to a plain Blue...

I then started the animation process in after effects. I imported all my Illustrator artwork, making sure I selected the settings to allow me to adjust the separate layers...

Firstly I imported the sound to the timeline. I cut my sound up using Soundtrack Pro and Adobe Soundbooth, I cut all of my sound before beginning the animation's to make sure I had the correct length of music with it sounding/ending ok.

I then started to animate and slowly but surely things started to come together....

I mainly used 'Position' and 'Rotation' in this animations with a few times using 'Scale' and 'Opacity'




Having a narrative in my animation made the process extremely time consuming, there is A LOT of keyframes and movement! Below is my first version of the piece...



I talked to my tutor about my animation and she suggested a few changes, such as, the boys having a little more movement playing with the ball, the girl pulling away the balloon from the seller needs to make more sense to the viewer and she shouldn't walk off so quickly at the end...

I tweeked my animation to what she said and it does look a lot better. I also had to re edit the music as it seemed to short for the animation....


No comments:

Post a Comment