Monday 4 October 2010

First ideas...

Deciding what music I wanted to use really gave me ideas of what kind of animations I want to create. Firstly the Lemon Jelly songs... Watching their videos and looking at their artwork makes me want to create an almost mini music video to a snippet of one of their tracks. An abstract short piece of video art. Bright, intense colours and swirling, abstract shapes moving depending on how the music goes, for example, a heavy bass track would have heavy, bold shapes moving with it where as more of the classical piano music would have floaty light shapes...

I have decided that I want to use Yann Tiersen's music for my animations. At first I was only going to use it for one but I think I am going to link the 3 animations up in some way so will be using similar music. I wanted to have some kind of basic narrative in my animation and as they are only 15-20 seconds long I though a good idea would be to create a mini series, so, I will end up with 3 separate animations that go together.

His music is either really sad and dreary or happy and upbeat, its very very French with use of accordions, piano and violins along with toy pianos and xylophones. His music is similar to The Penguin Cafe Orchestra, their music is always used in short films/animations for adverts etc. Listening to this music put an idea in my head of a little girl walking around Paris. I want to base my animations on a simple story about a little girl and what she gets up to.

I started thinking more about this little girl character and Banksy's famous girl with balloon graffiti came into my head... He has a couple of versions, below....

I really like the idea of the little girl character carrying a balloon around with her, the story can mainly be based on this and what happens to her and the balloon... I know the main objective of this project isn't the narrative or detail but creating a simple narrative and characters and using them correctly with the right movement I think will work really well, i'd much rather have some kind of story line than just an abstract piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment